Cycling and exploring Hampshire’s historic churches
For people who love exploring church buildings
Did you know that every year over 400 of Hampshire’s most historic and beautiful churches are open to cyclists? What’s more some have refreshments and guides and all will provide a beautiful backdrop to catch your breath and give you a chance to discover beauty, art, history and interesting architecture inside and out.
- Are you part of a cycling group that would like to organise a tour of Hampshire churches near you on Saturday 10 September 2022?
- Are you a cycling leader wanting to take your group on ancient routes between historic churches and want to try a new routes and new rest points?
- Have you got friends or family that would like to join you in cycling between churches and discovering Hampshire’s history and heritage this year?
If so go to our Ride & Stride page for more information and to sign up to take part in this national event – Ride+Stride
During Ride + Stride people all over Hampshire walk (or cycle, or scoot or ride) between churches, exploring and enjoying the countryside. As there are over 400 due to be open you can have fun choosing which will be part of your cycling itinerary. Many will have refreshments, some will have loos open, and all should offer your group a warm welcome. Check here to see which of your local churches are participating on the day.
Last year Ride+Stride in Hampshire raised over £70,000 of sponsorship money, including Gift Aid to help Christian churches of all denominations who are members of ‘Churches Together in England’
The money raised every year helps to fund repairs to the historic fabric and features of the church as well as urgent repairs such as retaining walls in graveyards, leaky roofs and the installation facilities to make Hampshire’s historic churches, chapels and meeting houses of all denominations fit to serve local communities for future generations.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
We’d love it if you could schedule and organise a cycle route with your group or friends and family to visit as many Hampshire as possible on Saturday 10 September 2022.
The participating churches will be open from morning to late afternoon and many will have people eager to show their church and tell the history to visitors and many will be laying on refreshments.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
- InvestMyCommunity is our fundraising platform enabling you to make fast and totally secure donations. Hampshire and the Islands Historic Churches Trust will receive your money faster and, if you are a UK taxpayer, Gift Aid will be added to your donation at no cost to you.
- Download your sponsorship form here and information leaflet. Any queries please contact the County Ride+Stride Coordinators [email protected]
- You can choose whether all the funds raised go to the Hampshire and the Islands Historic Trust, or whether half the money raised by each participant goes to a church of their choice; the other half going to the Trust along with any Gift Aid that can be claimed. In either case, all funds raised should be paid to the Trust.
Please be assured that ALL the money raised will be used to provide grants & loans to the region’s historic churches of all denominations for essential repairs and restoration work.
The Trust is a non-denominational charity which raises funds towards the upkeep of some 900 historic church buildings dating from the 8th to the 20th century. Since 1988, HIHCT has provided grants, conservatively estimated at about £1.25 million to help repair, restore and maintain churches, their contents and churchyards. About 300 churches, chapels and meeting houses have benefitted so far.