Other Organisations

Churches seeking advice about repairs and alterations might also consider approaching some of the organisations listed below; local planning authorities may well need to be consulted over planning issues.

The National Churches Trust is the central body which, as well as its other functions, now has links to all the County Trusts, the addresses of which are to be found on its website. There is an annual meeting, attended by members of as many of the County Trusts as possible and the eight liaison group County Trust members have undertaken each to keep in touch with a number of neighbouring Trusts.

The National Churches Trust launched a Survey 2010 which included buildings of every Christian denomination, of all ages and conditions, to understand how they are maintained, repaired, funded and used by their local communities. The aim was to create a national picture of the current status of these places of worship.
Please read the following press release for further details National Churches Trust Survey 2010 Press release

The Funds for Historic Buildings website is a comprehensive guide to funding for anyone seeking to repair, restore or convert for a new use any historic building in the United Kingdom (excluding the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) which is listed, scheduled or in a conservation area and of acknowledged historic merit. It includes details of virtually all substantive funding sources which specialise in historic buildings, as well as many (including a variety of regeneration programmes) which provide funding for historic building projects within a wider remit. Note: The FfHB website places Hampshire in South West England.

For the Church of England, the website Church Care which is run on behalf of the Archbishops’ Council, provides a wealth of information on the running and care of parish churches. A list of grant-giving bodies (not exhaustive) is included in the Grants and Finance section.

Church organisations in Hampshire

Local Authorities

Local authorities, both County and district, may on occasion give grants to our churches for certain categories of work. Their planning departments may also, of course, need to be informed of changes to the buildings, especially where listed. Hampshire is covered by the following authorities:-

District/Borough/City Councils

For those interested in the general area of our heritage, the link to The Archaeology & Historic Buildings Record run by Hampshire CC gives an index to historic (church) buildings in Hampshire.